Saturday 4 November 2006

Early winter ride

I decided to take my camera out on my ride this morning.

The temperature when I left at 9am was hovering just above freezing so I had to dress very warmly. Thick woolen socks, undershirt, cycling top and my new Campagnolo long sleeved full-zipper jersey, full-fingered gortex gloves and full-length leg warmers under my cycling short. Also wore a skull cap under my helmet and over my ears - this is thin lycra hat used to keep the head warm. Its been clear skies for the last week or so, so no need to worry about rain gear.

The route I look was 70km and went to Hertford and along a freeway for about 10km to Hatfield and then back home via Potter's Bar. I saw quite a few cyclists on my ride, but they were all going in the opposite direction. I am now in a base-training routine which means long distances at around 70% of my maximum heart-rate, basically meaning that I don't exert myself too much, but enough to get the blood pumping nicely...

It was a highly enjoyable ride - average speed for the day was just under 30kph.







No comments: