Saturday 17 March 2007

Training: EF-Amersham-Whipsnade-EF

First ride for me that headed into the Chilterns and well worth it.

Started off feeling a bit stiff and sore - especially as there were a few pretty steep climbs in the first 20km. The weather was cool and mostly sunny with a headwind heading out towards Amersham. Noticed that I'd plotted a route that actually goes through quite a lot of suburban and high traffic areas and only started getting out into the countryside after 40km...bit difficult not to really as the Chilterns are a lot further west that I normally ride.

After I passed through Amersham the country roads opened up and it was beautiful - the climbs were not really steep - just nice long drags with lovely rolling scenery. Also, I was now with the wind and flew through the forested Whipsnade area and down off the east side of the Chiltern hills. At one point I stopped to take a pic of the scenery with my bike in the shot and the wind blew it over...bending my derailer. Since I didn't want to risk snapping the hanger, I just left it as is and ended up struggling with gear changes over the last 50km.

At Welwyn I really started hurting into a pretty strong crosswind but managed to not blow up completely and kept a good pace to the end of the ride. Feeling very sore now 2 hours after finishing, but happy that I've found such a cool route...and that I didn't have to endure any punctures.

View ride data at Motionbased


Distance: 121.2km / 75.31 miles
Time: 4:24:38
Speed: 27.5kph / 17.1 mph
Pace: 3' 30 min/mile
Calories: 4514
Heart Rate:

Total Elevation:
151 bpm (Avg)
183 bpm (Peak)
1439m














No comments: