Sunday 23 September 2007

Training: EF-St.Albans-Great Missenden-Stanmore-EF

After taking Saturday off I was feeling a bit stiff taking off for the Sunday ride with the Finchley bunch and even thought it would be best to cut the ride in half - turn back early. I didn't, however, and paid the price towards the end of what was to be a devastating ride

I suspected a bit of Chiltern Hills action when we turned through St. Albans and prayed we weren't taking in Ivinghoe Beacon. Instead we went over Gaddesden and I managed to stay in contact over the top. The route took a turn onto unknown roads after that and we ended up in Chesham. I was feeling a bit tired by this point and knew I should eat some of my energy bar, but my stomach felt queasy - the warning signs had started.

There were two more big hills after Chesham - one before Great Missenden (2km at 5-7%) and a new nasty killer - Coleshill (1.5km at 10-14%). Me and a couple others were dropped on these, but it was brought back together by the other sides. We then headed back toward London on the motorway with a fast tailwind - speeds were in excess of 50kph. I took a few pulls on the front, but my energy levels were already critical.

On the outskirts of West London I suddenly cracked and came crawling to a very low speed - a paced myself alone for the next 5km. I met up with the group again in Stanmore Park where they had reserved outside tables at a coffee shop. After coffee we headed back to Finchley - the pace was upped again and three of us immediately dropped back - the strain of the day showing clearly now.

I was very glad to get back home - my legs seemed to have pedalled all by themselves over the last 5-10km - my mind escaping the pain that had taken over my body. A rough day, but I never gave up!

View this ride data at Motionbased

No comments: