Sunday 21 October 2007

Training: EF-Ivinghoe Beacon-Bison-Cathill-EF

I sometimes have nightmares about the route we took today - the Chilterns with climbs over Ivinghoe and Bison. The last time we went this way I was horribly dropped, punctured and left out to make my way back home alone - embarrassment turned to anger, turned to despair all on one fateful summer day. I was not happy to hear we were going the same route again.

The ride started off freezing cold - everyone was wrapped up well except for a couple of head-cases with bare legs showing (;-). The pace leading to Ivinghoe was a lot more casual this time, with Stav going on about his knee and Darren telling him not to panic. I prepared myself mentally and stayed sheltered in the bunch a few km's before the first ramp. Amazingly I stayed with the front group until about halfway but I could feel the pace picking up slowly. I looked back and saw that another group had formed further down the road, so I let the front group gradually pull away and climbed at my own pace to the top. Everyone regrouped there after a piss stop.

Bison was another matter - every man for himself as the gradient strung everyone out. I came over the top feeling strong and me and a couple other guys chased after the front riders. Regrouping again at the bottom we rode the next 30km in a paceline at 25mph over the mostly flat country back to St. Albans, with me contributing for most of this part.

The pace was upped again over the short but steep hills through Shenley and I suffered a bit of cramp, but caught back up with the group before we reached Barnet. The ride ended up with coffee in Whetstone - I'm pooped!

View this ride data at Motionbased

No comments: