Sunday 24 February 2008

EF-Waltham Abbey-Chipping Ongar-Walthamsow-EF (113.3km)

AFter skipping riding Saturday, I felt quite relaxed at the start of today's ride and rolled through the first 30km able to hold conversations and generally have a good time. It was all to change as soon as the first hill arrived - a bloody monster and it was hear that I felt how crap my legs were actually doing.

A few miles later and a few guys turned off to do an easier ride. I should have joined them, because all the usual instigators and masters of pain were at the front of the group, all too happy to turn my Sunday into misery. After getting dropped on the next two climbs (and being brought back by Vince and then Dominic), I knew I was ready to ask the guys to just leave me on the roadside - I'd happily dig a nice little grave and just die in it.

Steve's back wheel was playing up and after a couple of stops to try and fix it he indicated that he would just wheel back home slowly by himself. At about 75km covered I took this opportunity to ride back with him. We shared the pace making back to London into a horrible headwind, with my legs turning more and more to lead. It was a death March, and to top it off, when we had to ride up Muswell Hill - a real bastard of a climb.

In all, today was a reminder that hell is always just around the corner. I now feel dead, and will now die on the sofa in front of the TV.

View this ride data at Motionbased

No comments: