Saturday 14 April 2007

Training: EF-Newgate St-L.Berkhampsted-EF


Short but hard ride. Hard for 2 reasons - 1) legs sore from yesterdays after work pyramid interval session..and 2) I had a nasty crash!

On the last 1 kilometer of the leg back home, coming up a hill in my neighborhood, I was doing about 18mph at the top. A car pulls in front of me, turning across my path from the other side of the street. I couldn't react in time and went straight into the side of his bonnet / left front wheel. I went flying over and crumpled down the other side, rolling along the road. In shock I lay there wondering if I'd injured myself badly - people were crowding around and a guy came over to me saying he knew first aid. He checked me over, but all I had was two scraped knees and hands, sore left leg inside muscle and a bit of pain in my right quad - no ripped clothing.

The driver was really concerned, admitting fault, and since my injuries were not too bad I told him that I wouldn't press charges as long as he paid for the damages to my bike. He agreed. Took my bike to the LBS - which was about 100 meters down the road - and had the bike checked over - front wheel buckled and saddle ripped up - total cost of replacing wheelset and saddle plus labour, they quoted £200. The driver paid for it on the spot.

He called me after I got home to apologise and say that if there was anything else he could do, or if any of my injuries developed, or if my bike needed anything else done to it (the LBS is currently giving it a proper check over) he would pay the cost of these. Although angry that I was knocked over and the blame lies with this driver, I respect him for his concern. At the moment I'm feeling OK - the scrapes aren't really bad at all and my bike will be ready to collect later (hopefully there won't be any frame damage). As long as I'm OK to do my long Sunday ride tomorrow, it would be as if this never happened at all, though I am tired of crashing - 3 now in the last 4 months, though this is the first one with a car for a long time.


Distance: 46.7km / 28.7mi
Time: 1:28:38 (3 minutes subtracted due to traffic)
Speed: 31.6 / 19.6mph
Elevation Gain: 529m
Calories: 2168
HR: 153bpm (avg) / 177bpm (max)

View this ride data at Motionbased



Map
Elevation (ft.)
Speed (mph)
Heart Rate (bpm)
Heart Rate Zones
ZoneRange
(bpm)
Time
In Zone
Distance
In Zone
Zone 5167 - 1860h 19m20% 4.98 mi
Zone 4149 - 1671h 10m76% 17.51 mi
Zone 3130 - 1490h 21m23% 6.26 mi
Zone 2112 - 1300h 06m7% 1.60 mi
Zone 193 - 1120h 15m16% 0.24 mi
(none)out of range0h 00m0% 0.00 mi

Posted from www.bimactive.com

No comments: