Thursday 5 April 2007

Training: EF-Wheathampsted-Welwyn-EF

So I took my new back tyre out for a spin today - its a Vittoria Open Corsa - more expensive than the Rubino Pro I have up front - though it matches colour-wise. Anyway - took a new route that made a left at the main traffic lights in Potters Bar, then onto a nice quiet and very flat road that took me through Colney Heath and round the outskirts of St Albans. It was a beautiful day with hardly a breath of air. I was keeping my HR inside Zone 4 and going up to 4.2 max going out of the saddle up small elevations in the road. I was averaging between 34-38kph along this section for about 10km - very nice and smooth.

The GPS route I'd plotted lead me to a proper off-road track with green fields teaming with sheep on either side. I decided to take the track as I could see it lead back onto a paved road at the bottom of the hill. Sheep baahed at me all the way - I baahed back. Eventually connected onto one of my favorite country lanes through Symondshyde Great Wood. It was here that I punctured my new tyre :-(

Worked for 20-odd minutes repairing the tube and fitting the tyre onto the rim. All around me was the quiet forest and just the odd barking dog in the distance could be heard - felt very Blair Witch-ey... I was glad to be back on my bike and out of the woods. At this point I decided that I would call it a day and rode back home via Welwyn and Hatfield - reason was that the tyre was only inflated up to about 75-80psi as this is all the hand pump I have can inflate up to. Didn't want to risk another puncture many more miles further away from home.

In all a good ride that was enjoyable despite the short distance - will make up for it on Sunday's ride. Oh yes - I forgot to press "Start" on my GPS, so the ride was not recorded - oh well :-)

Distance: 64.8km / 40.3mi
Time: 2:07:49 (taken off 5 min due to traffic)
Speed: 30.4kph / 18.9mph

No comments: