Sunday 30 December 2007

Training: EF-Ashridge-Ivinghoe-Bison-Shenley-EF

Another tough excursion into the Chilterns with a twist on the usual route, going through Ashridge Estate, over Ivinghoe from opposite to the usual direction, a detour through some flat country before swinging back and up over the dreaded Bison from the hurting west ascent. The weather was mild and slightly overcast with a light wind from the west.

The pace was mediocre over the first half of the ride and I contributed quite a lot of pace making at the front over these early miles. The ride through Ashridge was incredible - beautiful forest scenery and a few deer jumping across our path before passing the castle. At the top of Ivinghoe we'd lost Stav and Ben who'd turned back - they knew Bison was on the cards today!

When we did get to Bison, I immediately dropped back to ride it at my own pace, which worked out nicely as I managed to overtake a few riders on the way up - especially in the grueling middle section of 18% gradient. It felt like I was in a trance, dancing on the pedals. The pace quickened at the top and I'd caught up with the front riders on the descent.

On the straight, flat 5-mile road into St Albans we formed a nicely moving paceline and worked all the way into the town at 25mph. It was in St Albans, though, that I ran out of water (only took one bottle), so I knew I ran the risk of bonking over the next 20-miles to London. I didn't feel like stopping at a shop for a refill and then have to chase like mad to get back on, so I ground it out.

Kevin directed the group through the hills around Shenley and I could feel my energy fading quickly, though I did manage to stay on and even managed to take a few 5-minute pulls at the front. Eventually we made it to the coffee shop in Whetstone and everyone said they were knackered. Longest ride for quite a while, but came home feeling OK.

View this ride data at Motionbased

No comments: