Sunday 2 December 2007

Training: EF-Watford-Hemel Hempsted-EF

I decided to go out for the group ride this morning despite the warnings of extreme weather on the news - it was dry but overcast when I left home at 8:25. By the time I arrived at the meeting point, the rain was coming down steadily. About 8 of us set out from Finchley, with Werner and Darren joining up a bit further down the road. I punctured within the first mile of the ride, but quickly had it fixed with the help of Kevin (amazing how easy it is to put the tire back on these new wheels!)

We made a left at Potter's Bar and onto a route I'd never been on before. The rain and wind had picked up considerably by this point and I considered turning back at Shenley, but soldiered on despite the conditions. The pace was kept nice and steady all the way through Watford and up past Hemel Hempsted. The rain was becoming worse and worse and I was finding mud being flung into my eyes, making things even more dangerous. I could tell no one was having fun...

Eventually we turned onto a motorway with the wind behind us. Werner and I took turns at the front here, pulling the group along at 45kph+. We then encountered a rather long hill on which Werner promptly took off, leaving the rest of us behind. Didn't see him again as he turned off towards Potter's Bar. We continued on through to Barnet and eventually made it to the coffee stop in Whetstone. Everyone was covered in mud and grime and completely soaked. I helped myself to a well deserved slice of carrot cake along with cappuccino.

View this ride data at Motionbased

No comments: