Friday 4 May 2007

Training: EF-B.Cm-Hoddsn-NG.St-EF

Well - good news and bad news for this ride... The bad first then - after receiving a phone call from someone 40km into my ride, I decided to cut what was meant to be a 115km ride into a 70-80km ride so I could get back to London sooner (because of the call). Refusing to simply "turn around" and do an out and back ride (hate those...less scenery), I tried to find a road that looped through Hertford or even sooner - through Broxbourne. In attempting this I became horribly lost - virtually a tour of the cul de sac's of Broxbourne. My map on Motionbased shows just how lost I got! Thus my avg speed is again pretty low...

The good news was the phone call. Matt called to say he was finally building my Look bike up and that it would be ready today!!! Once I arrived home I showered, changed, chowed down a pasta salad and recovery drink and caught the tube straight to Victoria. I stopped off at Evans to pick up some Look pedals as Matt didn't have any and went directly to his bike shop afterward.

I spent a good 2 hours there watching him finishing off the build, drinking coffee and chatting about gear and his racing days in Belgium. My past anger at the amount of time it had taken to get my bike built was washed away - the Look was/is beautiful - especially with the Easton Vista SL's. Matt gave me a fantastic price on the parts - a lot was at dealer rate and he didn't charge for labour..he also threw in the areobars from a couple of weeks ago in for free. It was worth the wait and the ride home was lovely - despite the fact that I'd just ridden almost 100km earlier and the rush hour Friday traffic. I've made a few adjustments to it and its just superb - I LOVE MY NEW BIKE! Just can't wait to go for a long ride on Sunday, though I'll probably go for a 30-40km recovery ride tomorrow.

So the build has the following:
  • Look KG451 size 53 carbon frame
  • Campy Record '05 group (mechs and chainset will be replaced with new '07 Chorus)
  • Easton Vista SL wheelset with Michelin Pro2 Race tyres
  • Easton EA70 alu bars and stem (the silver spacers will be replaced with carbon ones)
  • Look Keo Classic pedals (will be swapped out with the carbon Keo's from my other bike)
  • Selle Italia SLR xp saddle
  • El cheapo 25mm alu post (will be replaced with a USE Alien carbon one)
  • Cane Creek S2 headset
  • Bontrager alu cages

Here's a photo I've just taken of the new bike:





OCP pics with white garage door to follow tomorrow.

Distance: 96.9km / 60.2mi
Time: 3:11:37 (10 min subtracted due to traffic/getting lost)
Speed: 30.3kph / 18.9mph
Calories: 4048
Elevation Gain: 1008m / 3307ft
Heart Rate: 155bpm (avg) 183bpm (max)

View this ride data at Motionbased